Diabetics should eat foods that aren’t high in sugar and can regulate the blood sugar levels. A lot of people don’t know that certain foods can raise the blood sugar levels in the body and cause additional problems.
Therefore, if you are a diabetic, you should avoid the following foods:
1. White rice, bread, and flour: These types of carbs can cause problems to the blood glucose levels. Therefore, you should eat grains such as oats, barley, and brown rice.
2. Dry fruits:Dry foods contain high amounts of sugar, and you should eat strawberries and grapefruit instead.
3. Alcohol:You should eliminate the alcohol completely from your diet because it causes problems with the levels of blood glucose.
4. Processed meat:Processed meat is full with sodium, which increases the risk of getting a stroke or a heart attack if you are a diabetic. You should eat lean meats that don’t contain a lot of fats and carbs and are low in sodium. Also, include more greens when you eat sandwiches.
5. Fried Foods:All deep fried foods are really bad for our health because a large amount of oil is used for their preparation. This means that you will consume more calories that you actually need. Also, a lot of fast food joints and restaurants use hydrogenated oils that contain trans fats, which is really bad for those who have diabetes.
6. Full-Fat Dairy:Full-fat dairy products can increase the levels of bad cholesterol and heart disease because they contain saturated fats. Those fats can increase the insulin resistance, which is why diabetics should avoid foods such as cream cheese, ice-cream, cream, and full-fat yogurt, and use only low-fat or fat-free dairy items.
7. Breakfast cakes:All breakfast foods such as cinnamon rolls, donuts, muffins, or cakes contain a lot of sodium and trans-fats. If you still want to have them for breakfast you should make them at your home and reduce the amount of fat and sugar.
8. Nachos:You should definitely avoid nachos at all costs because they contain 60g of fat, 40g of carbs, and around 800kcal!
9. Bananas and melons:These fruits are full with sugar, which means you should avoid them if you are a diabetic.
10. Fruit juice:Even though juices are considered a healthy choice for diabetic because they contain healthy carbs and fiber, you should be careful when consuming them because they have a higher sugar concentration that can increase the blood sugar levels.
11. Thick cuts of meat:You should avoid all fatty meats because they are full with saturated fats that increase the levels of cholesterol, thus causing inflammation in the body. Instead, eat more lean meats, fish, turkey, skinless chicken, or pork loin.
12. Sugary foods:All sugary foods don’t have much nutritional value and contain high amounts of sugar which will lift the levels of blood sugar.
13. Chinese Food:This type of food is high in calories, fat, carbs, and sodium. All of these factors can make your blood sugar very high and you should definitely avoid it.
14. Blended Coffees:This type of coffee is very tasty because it contains a lot of toppings such as whipped cream, sugar, and syrup. However, the high sugar amount isn’t good for diabetics and you should drink your coffee without sugar and with low-fat milk.
15. Cereal:When you buy cereals you should always check the label because a lot of them are full with sugar and other additives that are bad for the health of diabetics.
16. Pizza:Pizza contains a lot of calories and sugar, which isn’t the best option for those who have diabetes. If you still want to eat some pizza, you should make one at your home and use toppings such as veggies and herbs.
17. Store-bought smoothies:Even though they are labelled as being really healthy they aren’t because they contain a lot of sugar and are packaged in big portions.
18. Energy bars:Diabetics shouldn’t eat energy bars because they can be really dangerous for their health.
19. Hamburger:Hamburgers are really bad for diabetics since the high amount of saturated fats lifts the cholesterol levels.
20. Flavored waters:Since the water contains flavour, it surely means that it has sugar and artificial flavour. Therefore, you better avoid it.